31 Day Challenge 2012! Day 27: Inspired by Artwork

Hello and good morning!! 

  Today I finally have my day 27, artwork inspired nails for the 31 day challenge. Miss Sam is on top of her shiz and will be posting her flag nails today. Not sure what's goin on with miss Rie lol! I will be posting my flag nails later this afternoon. So, last year, on this prompt I went with Van Gogh's Starry Night. This year, after much debate (and with you guys' halp on Facebook), I landed on Munch's The Scream. Similar styles, both amazing pieces of art. It danced around these nails for a whole week. And when it came time to sit down and paint and I had to take a deep breath and jump right into it. I could type 18,746,287 words and none of them would convey the frenzy I had worked myself into over this nail art. I really wanted to push my boundaries.... Mission accomplished. 
 I must say that I feel like I greatly overestimated my freehand capabilities here, but I am actually really pleased with the end result. I think this has been the most challenging, time consuming nail art I have EVER done. So, on that basis alone; I am proud of myself for pushing through my fear of freehand nail art and actually going for it. 
  All in all, this look took me almost Three hours to complete. There were a lot of steps and a lot of waiting for layers to dry. Oh and, yes, this was all done with nail polish and nail polish only. I decided to not top coat my completed look to really give it the feel of an oil painting. I'm still kinda cracking up at my little screamer though... "Guuurrrrllll.. look at dem shoes!!!!" lol! 
 And now for a close-up of my attempt. Not too shabby for someone who pretty much curls up and cries at the thought of freehand nail art, right?
 At this point I'm not even really sure which colors are where. Luckily, I made a list of every color I blobbed out onto my paper palette. There was a lot of custom color mixing and a lot of thinning with acetone. As challenging as this was, it was really fun to see it come together and mixing many techniques to achieve the look I wanted.
  I used all the following colors from Bettina: Base #192, Brown, Earth, Birds, Sunrise, Starfish, Glitter Jean, Peaches 'n' Creme, #192, #12, #195, Ortensia, Indigo, Vintage Jean, #15, Premium Wash and Aqua. I also used  Sation I used Weed out the Wimps, Cult Nails Nevermore and Zoya Arizona. There was a lot of blending done with acetone to give the colors a paint-like consistency. 

 And for reference, here is the inspiration. I kind of forget that the task is to be inspired by the painting, not to actually replicate, but that was part of the challenge I set for myself :D. 
image source
 And there is my take on this famous painting! Now don't forget to stop by my challenge partners Rie and Sam's to see their  looks today! Also!! Don't forget to check out my Zoya Ornate Giveaway!! And I will see you guys again later! 


{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment